Subject: [Leica] TID>Minilux w/Hyperfocal Distance
From: "Leonard K. Nicholson" <nicleok@sdllc.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 14:09:49 -0500

Dear Mr. Cook:

> Thanks Leonard, how did you learn about this feature?
> Bud

Believe it or not, I read the manual! and observed the pattern in the
chart.  Personally, I think that the folks at Leica were pretty astute
for implementing the feature (quoted here for reference):

> [The Leica Minilux] has a unique and
> undocumented feature of being able to set hyperfocal distance at any
> Aperature.
>
> The rule of thumb is to align the Green AF Dot of the focus dial with
> the selected Aperature selected by the White Function Selector.: this
> sets a manually selected distance which just so happens to be the
> hyperfocal distance for the selected aperature.
>
> Lets look at the examples:
>
>         •       Set Aperature to F 4 by moving the Function Selector to F4, then
> align the Green AF Dot of the Focus Dial to the selected apperature: the
> distance indicated is *. Depth of field is 11.78m - *.
>
>         •       Set Aperature to F 5.6 by moving the Function Selector to F5.6, then
> align the Green AF Dot of the Focus Dial to the selected apperature: the
> distance indicated is 13. m. Depth of fiield is 5.18m - *.
>
>         •       Set Aperature to F 8 by moving the Function Selector to F8, then
> align the Green AF Dot of the Focus Dial to the selected apperature: the
> distance indicated is 7 m. Depth of field is 3.23m - *.
>
>         •       Set Aperature to F 11 by moving the Function Selector to F11, then
> align the Green AF Dot of the Focus Dial to the selected apperature: the
> distance indicated is 5 m. Depth of field is 2.31m - *.
>
>         •       Set Aperature to F 16 by moving the Function Selector to F16, then
> align the Green AF Dot of the Focus Dial to the selected apperature: the
> distance indicated is 3.5 m. Depth of field is 1.63m - *
>
> The exception to prove this rule occurs when you set the Aperature to
> F2.4 -- you cannot align the Green AF Dot to the selected 2.4 aperature
> so just set the distance manually to * (note the Green AF Focus dot
> follows at F4):  depth of field is 18.78m - *.

And I have often wondered why Leica didn't document this feature.  I had
been meaning to send this informtion in for publication for some time
now, but unfortunately never got around to it.  I hope that it is useful
to you and others with miniluxi.

Speeking of manuals, another interesting publication put out by Leica is
their

	Depth-of-Field Tables for Leia M and Leica R Lenses
	Catalog #920003

With every good wish, I am,

Sincerely yours,
- --