Subject: Re: [Leica] Gathering of the klan
From: "Bruce R. Slomovitz" <brslomo@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 08:55:59 -0400

To be honest, at this point I neither remember nor care who it was who
committed this linguistic indiscretion.  But I agree, or at least hope, that
he had no intention to convey bigotry or hatred in his use of the word.
What has surprised me, though, is the way in which others jumped up to
defend and make excuses for his ignorance.

Like it or not, English is the language used in this forum.  Among the many
reasons for this is the incredible richness and nuance possible with this,
our mother tongue.  It is apparent that even those for whom it English is
not their native language, are sensitive to the way in which such things as
spelling can convey subtle shades of meaning or connotation.

This group is about photography, Leica photography.  Leica photography is
about communicating in a highly effective, unique, and clear way the things
that Leica photographers observe, feel, and think about the world in which
they live.  I think it's incumbent on people who use the one medium (Leica
photography) to be sensitive to the way in which they use the other medium
(the English language) and to be aware of the ways in which it's careless or
un-informed use can indeed convey subtle but nonetheless damaging shades of
meaning.

Consider the topic dropped (by me anyway).

Bruce S.