Subject: [Leica] TID>Erwin Puts Lens Tests
From: Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 09:05:50 -0500

Dear Mr. Puts or any other LUGger,

I would like to conduct my own lens/shutter/meter/film tests with the
equipment that I currently own.  I've laid out on a Lotus spreadsheet
the various combinations of lenses/apatures/shutter speeds/camera
bodies/films that I wish to test but ran into an overwhelming problem
(for me at least).  That is, what subject(s) do I use to conduct this
test and how do I ensure consistency in the quality of light.

I plan to include two Fuji films I've never used before (Velvia and
Astia) along with the film I've been using for decades (K25).  The
results will be projected with a Prodovit/Colorplan since that's always
my final form of media.  Processing will be done by the individual
manufacturers.

Color transmission and exposure accuracy is my overwhelming concern.
I just replaced a wonderful 35 mm RF-Summicron with the latest
non-aspheric
Summicron not because the first one lacked contrast or that I was
disappointed
in it's resolution but because I found that it's color transmission
didn't match
my later lenses and I also found that it could be too warm for my tastes
in certain situations.

Mr. Puts, could you offer any suggestions or advice about how I might
select subjects for my informal tests and how I might ensure consistent
daylight lighting?

BTW, this venture is already so complicated that I'd prefer to select
one film to subject distance for the entire test rather than several.

TIA,
Bud