Subject: Re: [Leica] G2 - Autofocus "rangefinder," or interchangeable lens P&S?
From: hmphoto <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 13:03:29 -0500

BD,

I bought a G2 to use as a P&S because I wanted a camera I could hand a
total "photo idiot" and them still get a good shot.  Comes in handy when
you are a single parent and want some shots of you playing with your kid,
that live up to your expectations. (keep in mind here I shoot photos for
a living so I am very picky about what is acceptable).

I was very suprised to find that I like the G2 as much as I do.  The lens
(I got the 35 f2) is as good as the pre aspheric Leica 35 (IMHO).  The AF
is very good with only one or 2 missed shots where I screwed up.

The G2 has almost all of the things so many here want in the next M6.  I
must admit IF Contax had manual focus with confirmation along the lines
of the M6 rangefinder patch, and if they made some fast lenses, and the
damn lens did not return to infinity after every shot I would be sorely
tempted to go the G route.  The 200x speed, and 4fps motor that is very
quite for a motor, ttl meter and flash.  All in a very nice package no
bigger than the M6.

As far as blending in to the scenery goes it works well also as it makes
all of the approiate noises for a P&S and who pays attention to some guy
with a P&S anyway?

I still think stealth is all in the mind of the person opperating the
camera, not in the camera being used.  If you want people to notice you
and pay attention to you, or are uncomfortable then people will notice
you.  On the other hand if you want to disapear and carry yourself in a
manner that blends into the concrete then people will over look you.

The EOS 1n, F5, N90 aren't marketed as such because they are:
1) SLR and are too big for a P&S - I think people are intimidated by the
cameras.  I know I'll give my mom my G2 to shoot pix and she does fine.
Back when I had Canon if I handed her the EOS1 she would break out in a
cold sweat and say "I don't know how to use this thing" even though all
you had to do was point it and shoot it.  Same as the G2.

2) Jeesh....could you IMAGINE Nikon and Canon promoing their top of the
line SLRs as P&S, just won't happen.  They'd loose market just on the
snob appeal factor alone.

B. D. Colen wrote

>I pose the above question after noting Eric say that trying to compare the M
>and the G2 is like comparing a Porche and a dump truck, and seeing some ads
>place the G2 in the P&S category.
>
>The question is a serious one. After all, if the G2 is a P&S, why aren't the
>N90, the F5, or the EOS1n? After all, a six year old could point any one of
>those, shoot, and get a damn good result?

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto