Subject: Re: [Leica] G2 - Autofocus "rangefinder," or interchangeable lens P&S?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 19:24:36 -0500

>The G2 has almost all of the things so many here want in the next M6.  I
>must admit IF Contax had manual focus with confirmation along the lines
>of the M6 rangefinder patch, and if they made some fast lenses, and the
>damn lens did not return to infinity after every shot I would be sorely
>tempted to go the G route.  The 200x speed, and 4fps motor that is very
>quite for a motor, ttl meter and flash.  All in a very nice package no
>bigger than the M6.

If, if if! I'd be right with you! All you mention is exactly why the G2 is
not a camera of the stature of the M6. It's focus is slow (AF) and it's
viewfinder is hard to see through (for me) and it's lenses are slow
(aperture.)

My comparison between a dump truck and a Porsche was an exaggeration to
make the point that two different kinds of users are out there for two
kinds of cameras. The G is just not suitable for professional use in terms
the M6 is. That's the bottom line. If I want to use flash, I whip out my R8.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch