Subject: Re: [Leica] Need info on the Domke F6
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 21:54:20 -0700

Doug Richardson wrote:

> I'm looking for a bag which will hold a Leicaflex and an  M (or two
> Leicaflexes), several lenses and their shades, a meter, and (at times
> when I need them) a table tripod + ball & socket head. The Domke F6
> looks about the right size. However, the photo in the Domke catalog
> and website is not very clear.  OK, so the main interior of the case
> can hold two cameras plus a short insert, but what and where are the
> remainder of the "nine compartments & pockets" mentioned in the
> catalog entry?

I have this bag and mine is laid out thusly:

The main compartment has a padded insert with 4 compartments. Positioned
in the center there is room at each end for a camera body (2 more
'compartments) There is a thin pouch in the cover with a zipper closure
on the inside (light thin stuff) There is an outside pouch on the front
with zipper closure (full width, will hold the table tripod and ball
socket plus other stuff, or lots of film. Finally there is an outside
slot on the back, unclosed, which can hold a magazine, tickets, or other
flat stuff.  Adds up to 9 and Domke counts every thing when writing
their brochure.

>I've seen the larger F-2 model in a camera store, and
> empty it looked a bit of a "dog's dinner" with the large pockets
> sticking out at either end of the main bag. The main compartment
> measures 12 X 6 X 7, but what sort of overall size is the entire bag?
>
> I can vaguely recall seeing an F6 some time ago in a camera store and
> hardly giving it a second glance because it's small handstrap was
> fitted with relatively small snaphooks (I'd just had an accident with
> a computer bag whose snaphooks were much much heavier than those on
> the Domke handstrap, yet had failed.)

The snaps on the handle on mine are all metal, sure don't look weak to
me.

>However, to judge from the Domke
> catalog, the bag also has a proper shoulder strap of much more solid
> construction. I'll need that - Leicaflex outfits are much heavier than
> today's R kit.
>
> Regards,
>
> Doug Richardson

No bag is perfect, some love Domke, others hate them.  My experience is
you just have to live with one for awhile before you can decide if it
works for you.

Dennis