Subject: [Leica] M6 battery cover slot
From: "Spencer Clarke" <sclark2@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:57:53 -0400

Dear Group:

Regards the thread on "slots in M6 battery covers", I have a situation of
grave concern.

My M6 battery cover has, from birth, never been blessed with a slot.
Just one of those genetic things I suppose.

However, over the period of the group's discussion of this all important
subject a curious and unexplained slot phenomenon has begun to manifest
itself.

First I noticed a light serration on the cover where the slot would normally
be. As days rolled by I noticed the beginnings of what could only be
described as a slot. This was frightening as I hadn't bought a
slot and didn't want a slot and really wasn't a battery slot type of
photographer.

As the scribed area deepen, it  really became embarrassing to take this
camera out in public.

In fact, I made the fateful decision to cover the affected area with some
"Group" approved red spot black electrical tape.

What a visceral relief to be able to take my beloved M6 out in public and
not have the damnable battery cover slot showing, which by this time had
grown to a full length and depth standard slot.

Well, I ask you to imagine my surprise, not to mention my horror and
embarrassment when last night I removed the black tape to replace it with a
new bit of tape and there to my unbelieving eyes was the horrid slot, but
now; it was painted red like the red dot on the front of my camera.

Feverishly I reached for more black tape when I discovered there was
no more on the tape spool. To make matters worse I have been informed that
as a result of recent hurricane Bonnie there is no  more black  tape to be
had.

What to do? Not only about the now dammed red slot,  but now I think I have
noticed the numbers & letters on the film speed dial on the camera back
taking on a slight pinkish hue.  Please, suggestions for a fellow Lugger.

Spencer Clarke