Subject: Re: [Leica] First week of shooting with my new R7 - HELP!
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 10:24:20 -0700

Hi Pascal,

Before the R8, the R7 was the quietest R camera. A big improvement over the
R4, R5, and R6. Much of my R work is for large prints. 11x14 to 20x24. I
have found that unless I do everything, and that means EVERYTHING, I loose
a little somewhere. Everything means slow film (Velvia, APX 25, etc),
tripod, mirror lock-up, monopod under extra long lenses, weights, etc. So
I'm really not an R camera hand hold expert, other than I know what you
cannot normally do with the result of hand holding an R camera. Even with
my M camera, I hand hold it like I'm shooting a gun, that is, breath
control, muscle control, you know... the whole works. And I have some
really sharp hand held M photographs taken at relatively slow shutter
speeds. But again, regardless of the equipment, one has to follow all of
the rules to get the very best results. And there is indeed a difference
between acceptable results, and the very best results.

Of course, there are exceptions to all rules. Outside with good light and
no polarizer (-2 stops) you can get a shutter speed that will work hand
held. And your use of the minitripod obviously works as well.

Jim