Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica quality
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 11:44:50 -0000

Marga (Souris) wrote: QC has deteriorated universally due to our
"plastic" throw away technology

I remember my late father being shocked by the appearance of plastic
on the M4 and Leicaflex. For his generation, plastic = junk, and the
appearance of plastic on the M4 was to him a sign that Leica quality
had started to deteriorate.  It's easy to smile at such a simplistic
view, but I wonder how many sales were lost to folk of his age back in
the 1960s and early 1970s.

What's even sadder than the deterioration of QC is the deterioration
in design quality. The M6 has been in production since 1984, and we
still have to turn the shutter to B to avoid running down the
batteries. Spectacle wearers still can't see the 28mm frame. The
camera still doesn't have an R-style opening back. And on how many
cameras is the plastic tip of the lever wind scuffing the top panel?

Regards,

Doug Richardson