Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #277
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 13:08:14 -0000

Responding to my comments of Lieca quality, Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
wrote:

>A lot of what you just said becomes true only when you place the
product on
a pedestal, view the company as "God-like", and otherwise inspect
every
tiny detail of everything Leitz/Leica made/makes with a microscope.

In my family, Leica photography is a hereditary disease, not a hobby.
Thinking back to the hours spent talking Leica with my father, you're
right - he did put Leica on a pedestal. To him, this was a rare
example of a product built to a standard, not to a price. He was a
collector/user (or should that be user/collector?) who took an immense
pride in the fine quality of the cameras and lenses he used.

>To take a hand made product one step farther and run a rigorous QC on
every single item, would put the company out of
business.

I understood that's what Leitz and Leica claimed to do - rigorously
test every single item.

>Things like putting it on B (or not winding after the last shot), the
then never give it a second thought.

Here we're getting into the philosophy of what constitutes good
design. As a former design engineer I believe the product should
conform to the user, not the user to the product. A meter switch
activated by pulling out the lever wind would have eliminated the
problem with running down the batteries.

I'm amazed how reliably the M6 loads, but this is neat work-around
rather than in ideal solution. The first time I loaded my Leicaflex, I
opened the rear door and thought "At last - a Leica which loads
properly!".

Good design, I was taught, involved many factors, but one of these
factors was paying attention to detail. In my original posting I
mentioned the way the M6 lever scuffs the top plate - well that's the
sort of detail I mean. Back in the early 1980s, Leitz either didn't
notice this was happening or didn't care. That's lack of attention to
detail. A tiny scuff mark makes no difference to the camera's ability
to take pictures  - it's the sort of thing of concern only to a
collector or a collector/user. But as a former designer, when I see
one example where the designer didn't notice or didn't care, I wonder
where else in the design he cut corners or was negligent.

(I remember using this argument in the late 1960s when I took over a
design project from a guy who'd quit. Finding careless minor errors in
his work, I delayed passing the drawings for production until I'll
checked his part of the design from end to end. That check took me a
week, but uncovered a bad mistake which would have required a major
rebuild after system delivery. However, lest my halo glow too
brightly, I must admit that in the process of this check I failed to
spot design error I'd committed, and which had to be corrected after
delivery! <grin> One of the customer's engineers came up with a really
neat fix - instead of redesigning things to remove my error, he
devised a simple and inexpensive modification which made my error
harmless!)

Regards,

Doug Richardson