Subject: Re: [Leica] Slave Labor Lawsuits
From: MSwiek@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:44:29 EDT

I'm far from being an expert on the holocaust, but wanted to add this small
vignette to the discussion.  Many years ago a family friend and fomer employee
of Leitz told me that during the war years the Leitz family gave many of their
Jewish employees a model IIIb camera as the employees feld from persecution in
Germany.  The camera was to be used to generate cash after they fled since
other valiables such as gold, cash and jewellery were routinely confiscated.
My friend noted that within the Leitz factory at the time the IIIb was known
by the nickname of "freedom camera."

Mike Swiek