Subject: Re: [Leica] New Hasselblad 35mm Rangefinder Camera
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 16:47:04 +0200

George Huczek wrote:

> Now, they have done something which amounts to heresy - moving away from
> the medium format system that has been their lifeblood for half a century,
> and going after a chunk of the 35mm rangefinder market, with a camera
> looking for definable applications.

BTW the Hasselblad XPAN full panorama format exceeds the width of
the 6X6 cm format and is equal to the 6X7 format in width.
Maybe it's a medium format which permit 24X36 pics.
;-)

> I hope that some day someone in their board room will question their
> marketing strategy if it flops.  That remains to be seen.  I would suggest
> that when many photo enthusiasts look at a new product on the market and
> ask who it is aimed at, then it is quite likely that the manufacturer is
> taking a considerable risk by releasing it.

I don't know, there is no competitor, except huge "real" medium format.
I think that's the kind of camera which will find room in my bag.
For less than the price of a Apo 24/2,8 M + viewfinder !

I'm curious to compare big enlargement from negative of the same subject taken with
the XPAN + 40mm in panorama mode and with the Apo 24mm cut to the same ratio.
It may be surprising.

Lucien