Subject: RE: [Leica] Slave labor and profits during WWII
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 11:54:24 -0400

Again, let's leave Leica out of this discussion until we have facts,
especially given that what we seem to know about Leitz's treatment of Jewish
workers suggests that the firm may have behaved in a more than exemplary
manner.

As to the rest of your post:
- - Yes, the use of slave labor was considered a war crime.
- - No, manpower shortages in war time to do not justify the use of slave
labor.
- - The totally different context and view of what was the best thing argument
won't wash. If it did, there wouldn't have been any war crimes trials.
- - The "brain washing" defense isn't accepted much these days. The great mass
of the German people knew what was going on and thought that it was good for
Germany. I know that in the years after WWII managing to find a German who
belonged to the part, or Hitler youth, or supported Hitler, or was
anti-Semitic, was a bit like trying to find anyone after 1975 who admitted
to having voted for Richard Nixon, but...
- - Yes, it's wonderful that there are examples in the world of mutual love
and respect and people forgiving one another.
- - 50 years is not a very long time. There are people still alive who were
slave laborers and worse.

B. D. Colen -
A Leica devotee, a former VW owner and present Toyota owner, a drinker of
coffee brewed in a Krupps coffee maker, and a consultant to a corporation
that was part of I.G. Farben - none of which has a damn thing to do with the
just settlement of accounts.