Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #281
From: Charles Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 12:41:54 -0500

Andrew -

Tom Shea is certainly right that the new ASPH is superior to the older
Summilux (at least from what I read), but the old one is no slouch.  I
got one of the older models recently from a well known supplier of used
Leica lenses, for the same price you're looking at.  It was in what was
probably listed as EX+ condition, but you have to have good light and
know where to look to see any signs of use.  The aperture tabs are
indeed small, but they're right at the front of the lens and if you're
using the hood your fingers just naturally stop where you should grab
the tabs.  It sometimes happens that I'll twist the hood while moving
the aperture, but at worst this moves the cutout in the hood to block a
bit of the viewfinder, which I don't find to be a big deal.

If I could afford all the newer ASPH lenses I'd go for it, but for less
than a new 35/1.4 ASPH I got older 35 & 50 Summiluxes (in the same great
shape) plus an old 90/2 with excellent glass but lots of signs of use.
I may not be at the leading edge of optics or prettiness, but I've got a
very useful low light setup at a price I could (almost) afford.

Best of luck whichever way you go.

Cheers,
Kip Babington