Subject: Re: [Leica] Tiltall and tripods
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 22:29:56 -0700

 I have a mint condition Tiltall I bought new many, many years ago.  It's
> in mint condition because I never use it.  In fact, for many years, it
served
> as a stand on which I had a modern lamp mounted.  For myself, I can't see
> mounting a tiny M6
> on a tripod...

Having just exited the darkroom for a moment, after printing two beautiful
Cibachrome 11x14 landscapes, I must speak out for the tripod crowd. Yes, I
use my Leicas very often hand-held, especially for b&w photography. I am
tending more and more toward that eyes wide open, lens wide open approach
evangelized by Ted.

However, if you have never put some slow slide film in your Leica and
chased the magic rays with a tripod to capture every detail of the luminous
landscape, then you are missing  out on another Leica experience in its
vast spectrum of possibilities. Try it!

With the tripod and a Summicron or Elmarit set around f8, the detail and
contrast are awesome. Yes, a 4x5 rightly done is even more awesome, but a
Leica on a tripod is worth several 4x5's in the closet. I don't mind
shooting all 36 exposures as the light changes along with my perspective,
even ever so slightly. Then pick the best one and amaze everyone.

It's also wonderful just how light your Leica feels with a roll of b&w in a
crowd after toting it around on a tripod for awhile.

Regards,

Gary Todoroff
Tree Lugger