Subject: Re: [Leica] b&w, color of the soul (was: Old colour film stock and back to pictures.)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 19:58:09 -0500

At 04:38 PM 9/4/98 -0300, you wrote:

>In colour, the impack can just be the colour.  For example, I have seen
>many pictures of hot air balloons that rely just on the colour of the
>subject, but have poor composition.  These pictures are still acceptable
>pictures.  Try taking a picture of a Hot air baloon in B&W without good

The color may be good, and interesting, but it's still not a good picture.

When I hire photographers, I look over a lot of portfolios. Many of them
don't seem to be able to overcome the feeling that if they point their
camera at an interesting subject, that means it's a good photo. Nothing
could be further from the truth. I think the step from acceptable
photographer to good photographer (if not good to great) is the ability to
understand that fact.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.