Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux Questions with jpeg link
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 09:15:15 -0300

Chris:

I think I have not stated myself clearly again.  The benefits of the
noctilux over other fast lens is that it is sharp, contrasty, and has
incredible shadow detail and penetration.

In your image 50_pic3.jpg, the great flare suppression which givesgood
shadow detail, would have had your subjects white teeth visable in the
shadow of his mouth.  This shadow detail and penetration is evident on all
the noctilux pictures I posted.

As for sharpness, I did a scan of the negative and cropped for just the
eye.  If you look at the eye, you can see the iris very clearly, along with
the pattern on it. The scan does not do the original negative justice.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/baby-iris.jpg

I guess in conclusion, the Canon lens is usually almost as expensive as a
used Noctilux, so you might as well get the real thing.  Other fast lenses
for amodern SLRs are not as good as the Noctilux either.

Regards,

Robert