Subject: Re: [Leica] The digital Nikon F5 is here !
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 23:57:15 -0500

At 10:53 PM 9/6/98 +0200, you wrote:

>Too bad this is only a vision for the future, but I do hope Leica (or a
>subcontractor) is working at it...

I have been told by engineers at Kodak (personally, to me) and at Nikon
there is no digital F5 in the works. It costs too much money to develop -
$1 million - and nobody is willing to pony up the money to do it. One of
the problems is the motor drive. Why put such a fast motor on a camera that
won't be able to do more than 12 images at 3.5 frames per second? (Current
state of the art for moving pictures to the fastest PCMCIA Type III hard
drives, which have gone out of production because the sole manufacturers of
Viper drives went belly up.

Sorry, but it's not in the stars for the digital F5. But my hopes are
tagged on a digital R9 by the time I need to go digital at work. :-)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The world's full of apathy, and I don't care.