Subject: Re: [Leica] Invert or rotate
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 18:14:20 -0500

At 08:32 AM 9/7/98 -0700, you wrote:

>results (or maybe I twirl so much).  Do you know which issue of DT had
>this article?

It was at least 8 or 9 years ago. Don't remember. Mike might. He's still on
Compuserve, so he could point you in the right direction, or give you a
reference from his current magazine.

>Here's another thought.  The Jobo processors actually twirl, but
>sideways,  and continuously.  I wonder if I'd get similarly even
>development if I twirled continuously but right side up, and at the same
>pace as the Jobo.  (Not that I'd do that.  Inverting is easier).

Could, maybe, but it would be a major waste of chemicals. If you're gong to
do it like a Jobo, lay it on its side, on a towel or something, and roll it
back and forth at the rate a Jobo does it. You'll get the development
characteristics of a Jobo, which is very even - John Sexton does all his
film in a Jobo - and save a lot on chemistry, since it only had to be
submerged at the bottom. More air in the tank also contributes to even
development (as long as it's not air bells and there's enough chemistry to
have the energy to do the film right).

You could also do it with a Beseler motor base (used for doing color
prints) that's not terribly expensive. Lots of options.

But there's an advantage to not doing it continuously, if you're using
compensating developer. But for the most part, continuous like a Jobo works
great - horizontally.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

 A modernfleet of ships does not so much make use of the sea as expoit a
highway. - Joseph Conrad