Subject: [Leica] 35 & 40mm M lenses/angle of view
From: Charles Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 17:45:16 -0500

I have a recollection of a comment someone posted here several months
ago to the effect that they had had occasion to compare slides shot with
both a 35mm (don't remember if it was further identified) and the 40mm
Summicron (for the CL) and that they covered exactly the same angle of
view.  I was surprised to read that, but had no data to refute it at the
time.

On vacation a couple of weeks ago I took two successive shots of our
condominium using a 35mm Summilux and 40mm Summicron C, standing in the
same footprints on the beach for each.  I may have settled a bit, but
did not move laterally, between shots.   The slides just came back, and
those two lenses do NOT have the same angle of view.  It's pretty close,
but the 35 is clearly a bit wider.

If I misremember the earlier post, I apologize for repeating the
obvious, but the statement as I remembered it was so counterintuitive
that I thought it was worth wasting two frames at high noon to check it
out.

Cheers,
Kip Babington