Subject: [Leica] Leica entry
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 10:03:50 +1000

###########
Thanks for all your help and advices on my question about buying a new or
used M6. I definitely have a few things to consider here. The best thing is
however, like Paul C. Brodek wrote, that I can't go wrong either way! Now
that's encouraging :-)
Thanks again, this is absolutely the nicest list a have ever signed on to:-)

Regards
Tommy
###########

Tommy,
As a long time member of this LUG, I can assure you, that it is not always
the nicest of places to visit. The bad is generally outweighed by the good
however in a ratio of about 10:1. I've been lurking for some time now, and
everytime I consider "uncloaking", the vibes have become "negative", but I
can resist no longer.  The advice you have already is good, but in the sad
abscence of Alf, someone must stand up for the unique qualities of the
older Leica lenes, and make a plug for the LTM cameras.
You will get no arguments from me on the superb quality of the current crop
of Leica products. I use an M6 with 21 asph, 35 asph, 50 noctilux and 90
elmar C [and will "kill" for one of the new 90 apo-asph's if they become a
reality], but Alf made many comments about the beauty of some of the older
lenes. About a year ago, I had the opportunity to pick up a IIIf black dial
and 50 Summitar fully reconditioned with an M series shutter. It fell into
my hands as if it were made for them. [I have rather small hands -- took me
years not to be too embarrassed and simply start in the female glove
section] The viewfinder is un-cluttered, you do not even have a "nasty"
focusing patch to disrupt your thoughts, and the shutter release unleashes
a gentle whirr of dials and snap of shutter which is very satisfying. You
focus the "beast" through a small magnified rangefinder viewer with great
accuracy, and then slide you eye over to the finder to compose. Slow? ---
perhaps a little, but by separating the activities, you see the composition
differently and concentrate on the composition without distraction. So
there is an advantage for every disadvantage, something you will discover
the longer you are on this group. [A good example is the "electronic" M.
There are clear and obvious reasons for having one, but Leica has not gone
down that road, and the longer I'm on this list, the more I understand why.
The mechanical alternative has many advantages that for most users outweigh
the benefits of the electronic wizardary, but more of that from others more
expert than I]. So the body of the LTM cameras is a joy to hold, has some
quirky but useful advantages, and teaches [yes educates] you through
disipline and technique to concentrate on your photographic composition
AFTER you have made your technical decisions on exposure, DOF and focus.
Now for the best part --- the lenses.
The LTM became a standard. It is still used today. Why? Well my guess [and
Marc may like to give us the real answer] is that the Leica glass had
become the defacto standard for 35mm photography, and so the "followers" of
course just fell into line. So these lenes were the very best between and
after the WW's, and many of the images we all love were made by them.
Here's the rub. You cannot hope to make images which reflect the soft
beauty and subtle grade of tone with today's armoury. The Summitar produces
wonderful images. I went on to find a DR Summicron [getting a little "new"
I know, but another classic lens which you will find has devotee's] and
then a 85 Summarex [fantastic lens full of aberations and surprizes ;-) ]
and long to pick up good examples of the Super angulon, Hektors [28 to
135], Summaron's, Summicrons, Elmars, Anastigmat, Elmax, Xenon, Summar,
Summarit and maybe even the thambar [missed my chance 10 years ago :-( ] in
order to explore the world of Leica from the early 20's to late 50's.
Learning the limitations and characteristics of these "individuals" will
give you another element in your photograph, just as adding a wide angle
lens will give you new joys, but if there is one thing I've learn't, it is
to delve slowly. I stop myself from buying a "new" lens every week until I
feel I've really explored the one before, and I can tell you, I've only
just begun to learn about the Summarex.
Not that the M series cameras cannot be used with these LTM lenes, but I
would offer you the chance to enter the Leica world in a different and
parallel way. I like Kodachrome in the M6 and b/w in the IIIf, with a
mixture in the M3 [M3 and external meter being the "best" portrait Leica -
no I will not explain now, would those who taught me care to fill him in??
;-) ] So little time so much to do, and work just keeps getting in the way.

Cheers

Alastair Firkin,