Subject: Re: [Leica] Cleaning Lens
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 01:03:40 -0500

At 11:38 AM 9/11/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Eric, nothing slips past you!!  But since I believe you know, does glass
crack
>when the temperature changes quickly from cold to warm or warm to cold, or
>both??  This thought occured to me during this last heat wave when I was
>cooling off my windscreen by pumping a/c out of the defrosting vents of my
car
>(truth be known, I didn't care much because its cracked anyway and needs
>replacing).

I was a chemistry major in college for a while, so these kinds of things
come naturally. :-)

I don't  think you have to worry. The blast from canned air could be a
problem with some low dispersion glasses, I'm told, but mostly big front
elements. But with Leica lenses, I'd worry about any size. No need to blast
on for 15-20 seconds without interruption (really, really really cold
really fast), if they lenses are blasted once in a while, so the big crud
doesn't accumulate.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO