Subject: Re: [Leica] (no subject)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 01:27:33 -0500

At 12:41 PM 9/12/98 -0700, you wrote:

>>I'm investing in a Leica system because, needless to say, I want the
>best image quality. I want sharp, sharp, sharp. In my search, I noticed
>the fanatic devotion to the M-Leicas is almost absent on the R-Leicas.
>Is the image quality produced from, say, a 35mm 2.0 M-Summicron
>noticeably better than a 35mm 2.0 R-Summicron? I like the advantages an
>SLR offers, but I'm willing to forgo them in favor of an M6 if I can get
>the image quality is better. Any thoughts?

Depends on the vintage of the lenses. Some Leica R lenses are better than
their equivalents on the M side, but the ASPH line is making all that
change. The M's current lenses at this point are the ones with the edge in
many cases.

BUT, don't mistake the fact that lots more people tend to prefer the M to
the R to be any kind of comment on the quality of the optics. The new R
stuff is every bit as good, or better than the M stuff. Leica is Leica is
Leica. (In the lenses anyway, and the R8 seems to be proving the same for
current bodies - now that it's been out a while).
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch