Subject: Re: [Leica] Newbie
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 01:15:08 -0500

At 12:54 AM 9/12/98 -0700, you wrote:

>1. 35mm 1.4 Summilux vs. 35mm 2.0 Summicron;

The Summilux is the best 35 1.4 SLR lens around, by far. I used to have one
and loved it. But it's big and heavy and vignette's a bit wide open with
very even subjects (like the sky or walls). But it's other characteristics
make up for it. If you don't need the speed, get the Summicron. One of the
great 35 lenses around. Very good control of flare.

>2. 80mm 1.4 Summilux vs. 90mm 2.0 Summicron;

Either lens is great. The 90 R is better than the 90 M. I never hesitate to
use one wide open. I do have one for sale, but if you want new, wait a
couple months. There will be an R version of the new 90 Summicron APO ASPH
lens - I'm willing to bet. It will be one of the hottest lenses on the
planet (and identical to the M version optically).

>3. 100mm 2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit vs. 135mm 2.8 Elmarit.

The 100 is significantly better. But that's no put down of the 135, an
outstanding, if heavy, lens.

>Any advice on any other particular lenses that you consider a must-have
>for every R system is also welcome. Thank you.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch