Subject: [Leica] Best image quality, was: Newbie
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 11:59:10 +0100

Willie Ju wrote:

> Thanks to all who replied.
>
> I'm investing in a Leica system because, needless to say, I want the
> best image quality. I want sharp, sharp, sharp. In my search, I noticed
> the fanatic devotion to the M-Leicas is almost absent on the R-Leicas.
> Is the image quality produced from, say, a 35mm 2.0 M-Summicron
> noticeably better than a 35mm 2.0 R-Summicron? I like the advantages an
> SLR offers, but I'm willing to forgo them in favor of an M6 if I can get
> the image quality is better. Any thoughts?

If you want the best image quality:

R 15mm
R 19mm
M 21 Asph
M 24 Asph
R 28mm or M 28mm
M 35/2 Asph. or 35/1,4 Asph.
M 50/2
R 50/1,4
(M 50/1)
R 60mm
M 75mm
M 90/2 Apo-Asph
R 100/2,8 Apo
R 180/2,8 Apo - R 180/2 Apo
R 280/4
Apo Modul System 280/2,8 - 400/2,8 - 560/5,6 - 800/5,6
Apo Extender 1,4 X
Apo Extender 2 X

:-)

But don't forget that a Reflex will allow you
to check the ghost images and flare (if any) in the viewfinder.
And not on the final image like with the M camera.

And also that the use of a Polarizer is also easier with R.
(Almost impossible with M 21 and 24 Asph.)

But on the other hand, a M6 with Noctilux 50mm or even 35/1,4 Asph.
will give you images impossible with any other camera/lens combination.

If your goal is the best landscape pictures, the R will be perfect.
If it's available light reportage, nothing will beat the M.
(Except, maybe, with 90mm and more)

Lucien