Subject: [Leica] Copying half tones with the Leica copying gauge
From: "Bill Butz" <bbutz@thegrid.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 15:08:38 -0700

    My other hobby, beside using old Leicas is Family History. From time to
time I need to copy halftones out of old books. I found a Leica copying
gauge[BEOON] at a recent camera show ,that seems ideal for this purpose. I
have set it up with a IIIC(converted to IIIF) and a M mount Elmar. The gauge
came with mounts for either system.
     My question is what would be the best film to use for copying half
tones.? My first trials were with Tech Pan developed in HC110 dil D, rated
at 100 per EK. I chose this film as it seemed that I was copying black dots
on a white background ( two tones). The Elmar, at  f11 well resolved the
dots.  Is there a better way to do this?
    My second question is how to avoid a  crossed pattern when I scan these
pictures into my computer. I understand that Photoshop has a program for
this but I have Photo Deluxe  which does not seem to have any controls for
such patterns. I can not scan directly as the work often has to be done in
the field. I would appreciate any comment. Bill