Subject: Re: [Leica] [Q] "transfer" of warranty?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 08:33:54 -0500

At 10:43 PM 9/13/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Eric,
>
>>> The idea of loaning it to the end of the warranty period would
>constitute fraud, no?  <<
>I don't see why loaning a camera would constitute fraud.  Everything's
>on the level here.  The camera IS (or would be, since it's theorietical)
>mine until the end of the warranty period, at which time I would turn
>over the ownership.

It's not transferring ownership for one reason, to avoid paying for
legitimate repairs by the TRUE owner. You going to go without payment while
this lens is in someone's possession for up to almost two or three years?
Splitting hairs, like a certain president's lawyers have been doing all
weekend.

>getting is worth what I'm paying for.  If Leica wants to terminate my
>passport warranty the moment I loan the camera to somebody, it had
>better refund me the corresponding amount.  I'm not going to give up my
>hard-earned money because I "care about" Leica.  Leica is my equipment,
>not my religion.

I'm going to fool Leica into thinking I own this camera when someone else
really does, or I am going to not have the use of this camera and no
payment for it's transfer for a long period of time, so this person can
avoid paying for repairs. Bending over backwards, if you ask me. This is
just my opinion and why I approach it the way I do. What are the chances
it's going to need repair anyway? Slight.

Being honest is something one is, or isn't. It isn't based on fooling
someone into thinking one is. That's where I get hung up on this. If it
works for you, fine. But don't criticize Leica, or act like they're being
unreasonable by not allowing us to transfer passport warranties. It's a
pretty amazing warranty regardless.

And why does the accusation of being "religious" about Leica come up when
people disagree about some point. Let's get real and can the hyperbole.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch