Subject: [Leica] Jumping in the soup (was "sharp B/W for Learners" / "improving leica images")
From: Ron & Beelian Miller <rkmiller001@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 09:43:07 -0700

Dan P., Richard W., Gary T., Eric W., John Maries, Alexey Merz,  Scott
Green, et al.

Thanks to all who provided such lively debate and very helpful
suggestions, back in early-to-mid August, for a learner to improve B&W
images.  Since many of you argued very strongly and convincingly to get
in the 'SOUP', and  after reading the most recent threads on tank/reels
and JOBO what-nots,  I'm going to take the plunge. =20

I'M STARTING FROM SCRATCH to build my darkroom set up developing film
for now.  It'll have to be a windowless basement (interior of the
garage) which has a large enough area for stuff. It's pretty light tight
except for the door gap near the floor which I'll stuff with a towel.=20
As long as I keep the garage door shut, not much light will get through=20
I am using a B&W photog book to guide me on equipment, but some things
are still vague.=20

If anyone has a list of essential items I would need, I would appreciate
it. I know, I know=85 many different opinions! I don't mind.

In addition I had these questions as I was browsing through the B&H
catalog, trying to figure what to get:

1) What brand of fixer has a hardener built-in already - I don't want to
have to remember to add a hardener to the fixer.

2) What Fixer Remover is best - I had a note that referenced to "Perma
Wash" - not sure what that is

3) What Stop Bath / Wetting Agent chemical do I use=20

4) For above items 1,2,3 -  how many times can I reuse the chemicals?

5) Does the film squeegee serve the same function as a photo sponge (the
book refers to the sponge for "wiping wet film after it is hung to dry")

6) Whats your set up like for a dust free cabinet for hanging negs. Any
tips on the drying process?

7) Proper procedure of disposing the used chemicals

8) I plan to get stainless steel Hewes reels and a 2-reel tank from
Kindermann.  Does anyone recommend using the Kinderman reels instead of
the Hewes?

9) If I ever want to try the fast pour method by leaving the lid open
and working in total darkness until the fixer's (or do I wait till  the
fixer remover part is done?) done, what timing device is best and how
does that work?

If there's anything else I should know about the developing process,
just jump in !!
Thanks!
Bee Lian