Subject: [Leica] Passport Transferability
From: "GBICKET" <GBICKET@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 12:37:23 -0600

Hello LUG:

I have read the recent variety of comments regarding the transferability of
the Passport warranty.  Leica prices would suggest that there are profits
allocable to fund repair of the occasional non-functioning piece of gear.
Certainly one price for non-Passport and a higher price for Passport
protection supports in my mind at least, that Passport protection should
reside with the piece of gear for the three years, whether it has been owned
by one or a half dozen individuals.

Some of the Leica literature is vague on this, and I wasn't clear on whether
Passport warranty protection did or did not transfer, and more of the LUG
discourse focused on whether it should than whether it does.  While I could
argue the rectitude of transferring the warranty either way, review of the
last Passport information I received [the half page sized sheet to which the
Passport card is attached] states clearly that the benefits of the Passport
warranty are >non-transferable<.

It's a great warranty, and should not be abused.  However, if Leica [USA or
AG] does indeed lurk on the LUG, here's one vote for having the Passport
protection of products sold worldwide under the Leica name begin on date of
purchase, and last for three years, regardless of ownership.

After all, it's a well known fact that lots of us Leica owners wouldn't
qualify for warranty coverage, anyway!

/:-)

Enjoy the light.

Greg Bicket