Subject: Re: [Leica] Flash Synch
From: jackson105@juno.com
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 14:32:02 -0700

Hi,
I have been wondering for years why Leica does not have a M6 with an
electronic shutter.  This way Leica could up the sync speed to 1/250 sec.
 Then the M6 would be perfect for outdoor flash.  I also think that they
should also make a model just like they do now for everyone that does not
want the electronic shutter.
Fred Jackson
jackson105@juno.com

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998 15:03:06 +1200 Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
writes:
>Hi All,
>
>I've been reading the posts for the last few days and seemed to
>remember
>something about the physical impossibility of synching above 1/50.
>After
>consulting the trusty Matheson, and Morgan and Morgan here it is:
>
>Matheson, Andrew 'The Leica and Leicaflex Way' 1972. P. 248
>
>"Flash units connected to the electronic flash socket or X contact on
>the
>Leica M receive their firing pulse the moment the first blind is fully
>open. This is therefore perfect for the negligible firing delay of
>electronic flash. However, since the flash is so short, the shutter
>blind
>must fully uncover the film; and the fastest speed at which this
>occurs is
>1/50 second. At shorter exposures, with the shutter travelling across
>the
>film as a slit, only a strip of film would be exposed by the flash."
>
>So there it is i'm afraid, we're just going to have to put up with our
>antiquated 'old style' rangefinder cameras a while longer. Damn, I
>hate
>having to use these old cameras.
>
>Take care,
>Gary

>"to be yourself, in a world that tries, night and day, to make you
>just
>like everybody else - is to fight the greatest battle there ever is to
>fight, and never stop fighting" -- e.e. cummings
>
>Gary Elshaw
>Post-Grad English/Film student
>Victoria University of Wellington
>New Zealand
>
>http://members.tripod.com/~elshaw/index.html

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]