Subject: [Leica] Jumping in the soup (shortened)
From: Ron & Beelian Miller <rkmiller001@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 00:16:53 -0700

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the detailed and greatly appreciated feedback below! I can
hardly wait.  8-P

Here's hoping I'm not the last one jumping in the soup and that this
thread will encourage others to try too!  Could you clarify on the
following:

What used or current-market darkroom/enlarger timer do you recommend?

Other than for enlarging and printing work, why would the safety lights
come in handy when developing film?

Keep that light comin'!

Salute

BeeLian

Dan Post wrote:
<<<Beelian-
Goodness! Where to begin!
First, I use Kodak Rapid Fix- I usually don't use the hardener since
hardener make it harder to wash all of the fixer out!! I would try a few
rolls with out the hardener, and if you are careful, you will not
scratch your emulsion.
Two- hypo or fixer eliminators are many and varied. Simple solutions of
sodium sulfite ( 2% solution) makes a good hypo clearing agent, as does
a 1% solution of common ammonia- though with the ammonia I would suggest
you use the hardener, or should I say, if you use a hardener, use the
ammonia. In the 'olden days' some photographers used seawater before the
final rinse, and since that is about a 4% salt solution, you could try
that! Sodium sulfite is cheap, and easily available. I use it one shot.
Three- for wetting agent, I use Kodak Photo-Flo, mixed at 1/2 the
recommended rate and use one shot. You will need a 1 liter graduated
cylinder or beaker for mixing, a stirring paddle, a good dial
thermometer, a plastic funnel, and some film clips
though I have at times used wooden clothes pins without any problem. To
wipe the film, use a CELLULOSE sponge dampened with Photo-flo to wipe
excess beads of water from the film- keep it clean and always wet it
before using  just wet, and squeeze out- it doesn't have to be
dripping!) this does the same as a squeegee.
Reels- Whatever you are happy with! If you are like me, the kinderman
and nikkor reels pose no problem- if you are unsure of yourself, then by
all means, use the Hewes. Much of what you will hear about doing your
own film is what that particular person you ask finds comfortable!
Fixing in the dark? I don't think it is necessary. I use a enlarger
timer with a processing mode for doing film. I start it when I finish
pouring in the developer, and start to dump the developer about 30
seconds before the time is up. If I use a stop bath, that totally stops
the development, and you can leisurely pour in the fixer, again starting
the time when the processing tank is full, and starting to dump or pour
out 30 seconds before the thee 'dinger' goes off! I never worried about
fractions of seconds even when I did slides, and I always got good
results following the things I learned in the Kodak Dataguides....
The main thing is to have fun, and don't get stressed over stuff that
usually doesn't matter, like what kind of reel to use... a tip- take a
strip of film to the store, and try to load it on the reel with your
eyes closed  no cheating!) If that reel is easy to load, use it! I guess
I would love to have a Hewes Reel, but at 20 bucks apiece, I am
comfortable with my old cheapies because they give me no trouble!
You will need a safelight- here again... preference and what you want to
spend. I still have two Yankee safelights I got years ago- I started out
with them in 1963, and even though I've dropped and broken several, they
are cheap and they work.
Have fun, and let us know how things go!
Dan
dwpost@msn.com>>>>