Subject: [Leica] COMPLETE Serial Numbers, Please!
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:20:05 -0400

At 07:50 AM 1998-09-16 -0400, Jeffrey "Buzz" Hausner wrote:
>Hunt; do not post the entire
>serial number, replace the last two digits with Xs so that nobody can claim
>it as stolen from her or his collection.  Thus, camera #1765432 would be
>posted as 17654XX..

This is complete, unadulterate, bosh.  There is no way, under US law, at
any rate, that such a claim would hold up unless the cameras were, indeed,
stolen.  Folks who believe that posting the entire number puts them at risk
are of the same lack of, er, sophistication as those folks who believe that
street hoods are able to distinguish between a Leica and a Kodak point 'n
shoot.

I will not assist those who fail to post or to send me privately the
complete s/n, simply as a matter of principle -- I will not feed another's
abject paranoia.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!