Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 or R6.2?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 07:43:19 -0500

At 11:06 AM 9/17/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Sincerely and though I am NOT Eric Welch, I cannot resist the temptation
>of giving my opinion.

Stop spreading this disinformation, and I'll stop complaining about it.
Everyone's opinion is welcome to be here. Personal attacks are inappropriate.

The R system is great, is not nearly as heavy as any MF system I've ever
seen (that's an SLR) and is optically the equal of the M system. Gives more
precise compositional control, has the best zooms in the world by a long
shot...there are lots of reasons to opt for the R system. Maybe it's not
for you, it's certainly not for Alan. That's great. But let's knock off
this M is superior to R line of thinking. It's not. They are different, and
complementary. More complementary than any Japanese system, because the
"color" is more similar that the lenses render on film than trying to
compare M to N or C. There is a Leica look, regardless of what others might
say. That doesn't mean there aren't differences. But there is a family
resemblance.

Ask someone who uses both, not those who don't, if you want to know. There
are lots of us, and many greater photographers than I.

- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's intolerance.