Subject: Re: [Leica] new Asph 90
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 11:04:06 -0400

I find it hard to believe that the current (now discontinued) 90/2 was
purposely designed to be slightly soft at the widest setting.  I'm sure it
was the best that Leitz was capable of when the lens was introduced.  Maybe
some people like the effect, after the fact, that is another issue (though
I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that most owners of the current 90/2
would prefer a sharper rendition at f2, if it indeed soft at that opening).
 Whether or not the 100 APO macro R was intended for macro work is a moot
point, since I'm sure it is a stellar performer at all focusing distances.
And I am sure that Leica put a lot of effort into making it so.

Dan C.

At 04:24 PM 17-09-98 +0200, you wrote:
>As I see it, it boils down to application area.  Any lens, or anything
>else for that matter, is designed with an intended use in mind.  The
>100mm Macro lens in the R-range is designed for macro work, although it
>can be used for other types of photography.  The 90mm APO Summicron-M
>ASPH is obviously not designed for macro work, considering its intended
>camera.  The most common usage of 90mm f2 on an M camera is, to the
>best of my knowledge, portraiture.  Many have commented on the 90/f2's
>very flattering, slightly soft rendition at the widest setting.  So, I
>thought it a little odd that Leica would deliberately take that out of
>the design, and make the comparison to the 100mm R-Macro that they did.

[snip]