Subject: Re: [Leica] Critical test reports by CDI
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 15:14:26 -0500

In the end, I really don't put much credence in magazine lens tests,
because they aren't lens manufacturers, they don't know the intent of the
manufacturer (with Erwin P. being a notable exception in this area) and so
how can they possibly test a lens for the target points of any given lens?
So maybe I shouldn't get my shorts in a knot about them, eh?
<<<<<<<<<<

Definitely not worth knotting shorts over. And I wouldn't necessarily stand
behind a magazine's tests. I have a pretty good feel for what Pop Photo's
are worth, and I know little more about CDI's than what I read on this list
(though the CDI tests appear to be fairly well respected).

But I disagree with questioning the magazine tests' value specifically
because they don't know the manufacturer's intention. Sure, intention
matters to an extent (is the lens meant for high-end professional use or as
a cheap zoom, for instance). But the magazine evaluates the lens from the
viewpoint of the end user, of me, not the manufacturer. It's my "target
points" that matter to me. And if the magazine is testing at points I also
consider important, and I find their tests credible, those tests hold some
value to me.

I work for an ad agency. If a campaign we develop fails to generate a
sufficient response and the art director says, "The public didn't get it,"
the campaign is still a failure. The art director's intentions are
irrelevant.

Likewise, if a lens priced at the top of its class truely does deliver a
performance comparable to lenses costing a quarter the price, the lens
designer's intentions are irrelevant. As a potential consumer of the lens,
still assuming I find the magazine's testing credible, that is valuable
information to me.

Larry