Subject: Re: [Leica] Portraits and "too sharp" lenses
From: "A S Jordan" <andrewsjordan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 01:15:08 -0400

In my opinion the "best" Leitz portrait lens is the 90mm f2.8 Elmarit-M
that was manufactured until about 1976. This is the black version where the
lens head can be unscrewed for Viso/R use with suitable adapters. I used to
own the lens head(without the M focusing mount) to get in a frugal way into
the R system. Looking over the portraits of family and friends this lens
provides the most pleasant  rendition of people with plenty of bokeh. I have
no idea how it performed on an optical bench; though I am certain it would
not measure up to the latest Elmarit-M or the 100mm f2.8 Apo-Elmarit-R.

regards, Andrew Jordan