Subject: [Leica] Re: autofocus (WAS: Speed)
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 10:46:16 +0200

On 19-09-1998 03:13 Alastair Firkin wrote:

>Last week, I was trying to capture the dogs at play, using the R8 ----
>managed to capture the backs of their heads every time. I said to H that
>this was the first time the mirror delay had been so obvious to me. The SLR
>was easier to move the focus with the dogs, and it was good to be able to
>keep the camera up to my eye and compose througout, but I missed the shot
>;-( This weekend, I'll try again with the M.

Now, that proves there is a need for autofocus in some instances. Had a
similar experience myself. At the Royal Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh,
there was a nice squirrel coming just in front of us. I quickly aimed the
"shot" with my R8, but the moment I fired I knew things were wrong:
indeed the focusing was not correct (too hastily - and I am normally very
quick at that). No time for a second chance: the squirrel was off - so I
was beaten by the squirrel... :-)
Boy, did I curse for not having AF at that moment.
On the other hand, of all my films shot during our holiday in the Italian
Alps, not a single shot was missed due to inaccurate focusing or
inaccurate exposure (using a mix of zone metering and spotmetering).
So it really all depends on the subject. AF would be a major bonus in
about 10% of my shots, especially fast moving subjects (like playing
children or squirrels...) and indoor-shootings in low light where it is
not always easy to focus precisely (the M6 rangefinder is much easier for
that kind of shots), and I often just rely on the distance settings on
the lens barrel (luckily enough, these settings are quite accurate on
Leica lenses).

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Macintosh PowerBook G3 - it eats Pentium notebooks for lunch