Subject: Re: [Leica] Critical test reports by CDI
From: jackson105@juno.com
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 08:09:29 -0700

If you buy any new Leica lens today  more than likely 40 years from now
can still be using that lens and still be getting very good picture
quality.  If you but any new Nikkor lens today will it still be around
taking pictures in 40 years.  Plastic will not last as long as metal. I
have taken pictures with a 40 year old Summicron 2/50mm on a M3 and the
pictures were quite sharp.
You can find very old Leica equipment for sale in Shutterbug every month,
but what you find for sale from Nikon is equipment of more recent times
save the F2 camera body.
Fred Jackson
jackson105@juno.com

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 09:13:55 +0200 Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net> writes:
>On 18-09-1998 22:03 jackson105@juno.com wrote:
>
>>One of the differences in the Leica lens that the Mag. did not give
>over
>>the Nikkor is that in 40 years someone will still be using the Leica
>>lens.  I can not say that about the Nikkor.  I can just imagine that
>>someone will still be bragging about still being able to take
>pictures
>>with high quality using a 40 year old Leica lens.
>>Fred Jackson
>
>Sorry, Fred, but I don't buy this argument. Remember that Nikon still
>has
>the F bayonet since the fifties?
>Of course, their lenses have changed since then, but you can basically
>
>still use older Nikon lenses on newer cameras, although you loose some
>of
>the elaborate camera functions.
>
>Now, do you really believe that a decent autofocus for Leica will be
>possible without changing the lenses?
>Electronically-aided focussing is feasible with the current ROM
>lenses,
>but unless Leica goes the way of the Contax AX, you can forget about
>autofocus. And the Contax way works, but is not a fast autofocus.
>That is, of course, IF Leica decides that autofocus is worth having...
>
>Just a thought :-)
>
>Pascal

>Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
>An Apple a day keeps greedy Microsoft away !
><<< PGP public key available on request >>>

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]