Subject: Re: [Leica] My personal Photokina evaluation
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 14:14:38 -0700

Pascal,

It is reassuring that such a depressing but accurate and even prophetic
commentary has come from an avowed Leicaphile such as you and not a
vulnerable "newbie".

After spending two years assessing the allure of the Leica camera, I can say
that, for some, the camera should not change. After all, there are still
those who decry the demise of the Model A Ford and some who long for the
"good old days" of DOS 1.0.

Part of the problem with Leica, in my opinion, is that it DOES come from
Germany where the motto is: "Ve Vill Do It Our Vay".

I enjoy immensely the feel of the Leica M camera in my hands. Leica is the
pinnacle of industrial/design as regards Quality of construction and
mechanical function. Unfortunately it lacks many of the features that we
take for granted these days.

A lot has been written on the LUG about a vertical Copal shutter and the
discourse was mired in debating the inevitable 3 or 4 millimeters increase
in the height of the body.

Several people mentioned that they were bothered by the "noise" made by the
Contax G shutter (a mere whisper, and a pleasant one at that).

The Leica M should follow the Coca Cola example.  When an uproar ensued over
the change in formula, the company, cleverly,  announced the retention of
the "Classic" cola and continued in its quest for new tastes.

Leica should:
1.  Leave the M6 as is and call it the Classic. That should please the
anachronistic crowd.
2.  Continue research and improvement in the optical arena.
3.  Introduce a new model having the following    specifications:
4.  Manual focus, film load, and advance.
5.  Electronically controlled vertical Copal shutter with flash synch at
250.
6.  TTL metering for flash and ambient light.
7. Elimination of the confusing array of frames in the view finder (maybe a
manual way of dialing the desired frame).

I could not care less if Fuji or Kyosera designed it, or if it is made in
Japan, Canada or Portugal as long as the FEEL is pure Leica.

The marque would not suffer from these changes, on the contrary, it would
flourish.

As for the R system, well....... let Nikon design a body similar to the F3,
the best reflex body ever made.

Joseph Codispoti