Subject: Re: [Leica] My personal Photokina evaluation
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 07:11:54 +0200

Pascal,

> And as I am hearing from an undisclosed source about serious internal
> problems at Leica Solms, coupled with substantial operating losses, we
> might expect something to happen in the not too-far-off future. I guess
> we might see Kyocera stepping in, and a scenario =E0 la Contax. It's no=
> something I would hope for, as I rather like the fact that Leica is sti=
ll
> European-owned, and would hate to pay those steep prices for something
> that is Japanese.

I am not personally bothered by the possibility that someone might acquir=
Leica. And if that someone is Kyocera, that would be just fine. After all=
,
Contax are excellent cameras and I have a Kyocera laser printer which is =
also of
much higher quality than the comparable Canon, HP or Brother offerings. I=
f Leica
is indeed financially ailing, then surely from our point of view it would=
 be
preferable for the company to be acquired by someone who is likely to wan=
t to
preserve the value and the brand and who has access to financial resource=
s well
beyond Leica's current possibilities. In today's world, the nationality o=
f the
ownership does not matter much; among US motorcyclists there is sometimes=
discussion about which brand is truly "American". It turns out that of al=
l the
motorcycles on the US market, the one with probably the most US content i=
s the
Honda Gold Wing (built in Ohio). Similarly, I do not think that Rolls Roy=
ce will
become any less British now that it is German-owned. The Britishness of R=
R is
part of the value of the brand, just as "German engineering" is a signifi=
cant
part of the Leica brand. I am sure any new owner would want to preserve t=
hat.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman