Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens wt vs finish->Now question about titanium
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 21:15:58 -0400

Bruce and others:

Can there be so much metal in 35mm Summilux Aspheric (which costs $2500)
that an expensive material would be out of the question.

One thing can be sure, if Leica is making the decision based on saving
pennies in materials costs, and trying to sell the finest lenses made, they
are in deep trouble. Ask any photographer. I could keep my costs down in
several ways: Buy cheaper equipment, use less expensive labs, cram more
work into a single day, but I won't. I charge more than some other
photographers for my services, and i'm justified in doing it because I
deliver a better product. Part of that is not thinking twice about the
price of my materials.

Tom

At 08:41 AM 9/20/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Maybe your friend the machinist is talking about exotic steel alloys.
>Titanium is certainly more costly than, say stainless steel.
>
>Bruce S.

Thomas Kachadurian
WEB PAGE: http://members.aol.com/kachaduria