Subject: RE: [Leica] Critical test reports by CDI
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 00:10:19 -0400

At 10:08 PM 9/20/98 -0500, Eric wrote:
>I find it extremely accurate. (Or maybe I'm just well practiced?)
It's a fine meter, but the area is too big, particularly with a wide angle
lens. With a 35mm I'd rather have a center-weighted meter. With a 90mm It's
fine

>>3. No off switch (that is easy and quick to turn back on)
>
>M6 TTL and M6 TTL HM - on/of switch on shutter speed dial, which is bigger
>and easier to move.

I know, but that's still spinning a dial. A camera set to 125th is ready to
go if you flip the switch. Spinning the shutterspeed dail takes longer than
just cocking the shutter

>>>4. Manual advance with no reasonable motor option
>
>Tom A's attachment. Very nice I hear.

I've had mine for about a year. While it's much better than nothing, it
isn't a motor advance. A good motor is an aid at slow speeds, as you steady
yourself and squeeze off frames. The rapid winder requires hand movements
that force you to resteady yourself after each frame.

>>7. The weirdest loading of any camera I've ever owned
>
>I find it fast and reliable. Just takes practice.

You want fast and reliable, load an EOS. The M4s and M6s are is good
enough, as you say, with practice, but still fumbly and weird. I'd rather
spend my time practicing my hand holding technique or follow focus than

But you're right in a way, none of my complaints are terminal, just a
bother. The fact is, we'd all beat a line to the dealers for an M6 that was
the same size, just as quiet, with the same rangefinder that had an on-off
switch, real drop-in loading without a seperate piece to hold in your
mouth, matrix or spot(5%) metering--no auto modes, and a 250th flash sync.

Tom
Thomas Kachadurian
WEB PAGE: http://members.aol.com/kachaduria