Subject: [Leica] Re: OT: Titanium (was Barrel weight)
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:51:29 +0200

Dan Cardish wrote:

> I have been told that titanium is no more coslty than steel, and not
> any more difficult to machine.

If that is the case, every single report in mountainbiking magazines
I've read about titanium-framed bikes is a lie.  Also, if that was the
case, cars would be made out of titanium, not steel.  Aluminium provides
great weight savings over steel, resulting in better performance and
lower fuel consumption, but aluminium is about 2.5 times more expensive
than steel.  I don't see too many aluminium cars on the roads.

Titanium weighs about 60% of steel, has three times higher specific
strength of aluminium and even higher than that of steel.  Therefore,
I suspect (though I'm no expert) that it would be even more useful than
aluminium in cars.  I see even fewer titanium cars than I do aluminium.

Machining the metal is more challenging than other metals, because of
it's characteristics (strong, but difficult to bend).  So, it costs more
to work with.

Check out the following:

http://nicanor.acu.edu/academics/itec/titanium/paper.htm
http://nicanor.acu.edu/academics/itec/titanium/titanium.htm
http://www2.shef.ac.uk/chemistry/web-elements/phys-nt/Al.html
http://www.shef.ac.uk/chemistry/web-elements/nofr-uses/Ti.html

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just "DOHH" it!
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho