Subject: Re: [Leica] New Round Tray Projectors
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:29:19 -0600

The new Leica projector appears to be a Kodak Ektapro in disguise, and an
admittedly superficial examination of the Ektapro in the store suggested to
me that it may be pretty similar mechanically and optically to the standard
Carousel and Ektagraphic units, though evidently, more rugged (certain key
parts are die-cast metal versus plastic + sheetmetal), with fancier remote
control capabilities, backup lamp (and presumably, more light output)

The Ektapro and Carousel trays looked interchangeable to me, save that the
former are enclosed, and presumably, better for situations where the slides
sit in the tray for long periods of time.

Lens mounts appeared similar, but not identical, and I'm not sure about
interchangeability of optics between Ektapro and Ektagraphic/Carousel.

I'd be curious to know what, if anything, Leica has changed, and may be in
the market for one of those cast-off Ektapros or Ektagraphics :-)

But I could've sworn that either here, on the LUG, or elsewhere, I heard
folks swearing that their Leica projectors provided superior color rendition
and lower image distortion than any Kodak + lens combo, and if true, does
this mean that the new "Leica" projectors represent a downgrade in
performance?