Subject: Re: [Leica] Theater photography, was: Arca-Swiss B1 and Really Right Stuff
From: Charles Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 08:00:38 -0500

Lucien -

My experience at the school theaters where my kids perform is that it
usually takes an effective film speed of at least 800 to get useful
negatives with the lenses I have.  Although these are fairly
sophisticated theaters with fairly elaborate lighting equipment (for the
high school level), and seem quite bright when watching a performance as
a spectator, there just aren't that many photons floating around.  I
take only B&W during rehearsals and performances (they hire a local pro
to do posed color shots after the last performance).  I use PMK
developer and find that it works best at about half of the rated speed
of most films.  My current favorite is Fuji Neopan 1600 exposed at 800,
which gives me slightly better results than TMZ at about 1000 or 1200.
I will occasionally expose some Ilford Delta 400 at 200 in scenes where
there is very little movement, which gives nicer negatives than either
of the super speed films.

Sorry I can't help with your blimp question as I've never used one.  One
of the reasons I got the N90 is that it seemed to be the quietest of the
motorized Nikons, and was less obtrusive than my F3 even without its
motor.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kip Babington