Subject: Re: [Leica] New Apo-Telyt-M 1:3,4/135mm filter size !
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:24:42 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/98 5:44:10 PM EST, lucien@ubi.edu writes:

> The new Apo-Telyt-M 1:3,4/135mm looks really great.
>
>  But it's to bad that Leica offered it a new filter size:
>
>  49mm !
>
>  And don't believe that it will accept the E49mm adapter
>  (14 211) for the Universal-Polfilter-M.

                    I kind of wonder at Leica's wisdom here.  Perhaps this
lens will prove to be an optical tour-de-force, but it seems to me to be a
1/2-stop too fast for the "classic" 0.72 viewfinder bodies (and the f/4 Tele-
Elmar is already an exceptionally good lens wide open) and a 1/2-stop slower
than necessary for the M3/M6HM (which actually don't need the "goggles" on the
2.8 Tele-Elmarit for focusing accuracy).
The 49mm filter size is probably not a problem for anyone who doesn't already
own a 135 (and especially those who own a 3rd-gen 28 Elmarit which also uses
E49 filters), but having a 28 (latest version), 90 Elmarit and 135 Tele-Elmar
all using E46 is definitely easier on the vest pockets (and the pocketbook!).
The best days were when the 90 Tele and 135 both took E39, so everything (in
my bag) beside the 21 S/A shared filters.
I read that there's a new adaptor (the part # is on the Leica website) for the
Univ Polarizer specially made for the new 135.  If you have the standard 49mm
adaptor (made for the older 28mm) it should work...you'll need to use a 49mm
filter ring (knock the glass out of a scratched filter) as a spacer.  The same
holds true with the 135 f/4 for which Leica make a separate adaptor but it
isn't necessary if you use a spacer...and that's a lot less expensive.
My guess (and it is just that) is also that given the narrow angle of view of
the 135 lens, it's quite possible that 46mm filters would work, without
vignetting, using a step-down adaptor, and the hood would still pull out.  It
would probably be worth a try if you've got a bunch of E46 filters.
One thing I wish Leica would re-introduce on the 135 lens is a tripod socket.
I still occasionally use my old f/4 Elmar (with the vulcanite-covered barrel)
when I'm sure I'll need to shoot longer exposures than I can hand-hold.  The
results are sharper than the newer versions that must be cantilevered in mid-
air from the M's off-center tripod socket.

Jay