Subject: [Leica] Questions: IIIf in everyday use
From: "Andrew M. Moore" <dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 13:48:04 -0400

I'd like to start carrying around my IIIf more, and I have some
questions about its "ease of use."

SHUTTER/APERTURE SCALES:

My light meter uses the "standard" scale of aperture and shutter speed
numbers, but the IIIf and its screw mount lenses use the older
(European?) scale.  From calculations, it appears that the numbers on
the European scale are simply the standard numbers plus a 1/3 stop -- is
this correct?  If so, I can easily modify the scale on the meter, since
it has indicators for the 1/3 stop increments.  Shutter speeds will be
more guess-like, unless there's a similar relationship.

Do any modern meters support both scales, or is there some sort of
overlay available (for the Gossen Luna Pro SBC, specifically) that will
let me use it more easily with the IIIf?

USE WITH 35MM FOCAL LENGTH:

My most frequenty-used focal length is 35mm.  I don't currently have one
in screw-mount form, nor do I have the lens list in front of me.  What
are "good choices" to look for in this focal length?  I'll be shooting
mostly Tri-X 400 in available light.  I'd like it to be as compact as
possible.

I have the hotshoe-mountable external viewfinder, but it's big and
somewhat overkill for use with just 35m (it works for 35mm through
135mm, and I never really got used to the left/right reversal when
looking through it.  What are my other choices?  I'd prefer something
smaller, and made just for the 35mm view.

M LENSES ON IIIF BODY

Yes, I know -- it just doesn't work that way.  But has anyone explored
the possibility of machining some sort of recessed coupler that would
replace the screw mount one, rather than just trying to fit an adapter
over it?  If I could attach the latest non-ASPH 35/2 Summicron-M to the
IIIf, I would have what's close to the ideal camera for me (despite the
aperture & shutter scales being different).

Thanks for any suggestions,

Andrew