Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #319
From: "Raimo Korhonen" <raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 21:43:20 +0200

What model Contax range/viewfinder "reflects the focal length as oppose=
d to
a frame system"? The G series Contaxes do not have an optical rangefind=
er
but an electronic one. Whether this is a "real" rangefinder or not - or
betrayal - is in the eye of the beholder.
Raimo
photos at http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen
my=F6s suomeksi

- ----------
> From: AINA NILSEN and/or JOHN GILBERT <ainilsen@online.no>
> To: 'leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us'
> Subject: SV: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #319
> Date: 24. syyskuuta 1998 13:13
>=20
>=20
> I don't mean to start a flame war on the ancient Zeiss-Leitz rivalry,=
 but

> certain posts recently have refered to the Contax G as not being a
''real''=20
> rangefinder. I would like to know just what really constitutes a ''re=
al''

> rangefinder. I assume this is in refrence to the viewfinder system. I=
so,=20
> then the term ''real'' has no place here. The new Contax is, in fact,=
=20
> following Contax's original unique design as opposed to the tradition=
al=20
> viewfinder adopted by Leica and Nikon. Namely, a viewfinder that refl=
ects

> the focal length as opposed to a frame system. Contax has therefore n=
ot=20
> betrayed, but remained loyal to its own unique approach to the
rangefinder=20
> concept. Even if certain modifications have been made to the rangefin=
der=20
> concept in order to address automation and AF, I don't feel it's fair=
 to=20
> judge the G's as not being real RF's. If anything, Contax has studied=
 the

> situation, and Leica M's shortcomings, and created a handy system. Le=
ica=20
> would do well, reflecting a recent post by another member here, in=20
> relegating the M6 to a classical status and forge ahead with a new
design.=20
> As it stands, and from reliable rumors via Chasseur D'Images, Konica =
is=20
> preparing to expand the Hexar with an interchangeable system of their
own.=20
> If Leica wasnt concerned about this competition, it wouldnt be
instituting=20
> the innovations, however minute, in its M system with such new things=
 as=20
> TTL flash and the 28-50-35 lens. But a TTL flash sync still at 1/50th=
 is=20
> limited. The M7 is not only long in coming, it is, as far as the=20
> competitive market is concerned, long overdue.
>=20
> I use my cameras as a living. I had to trade my M6 in because it coul=
not=20