Subject: Re: [Leica] vs Zeiss/ 16 X 20s
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 19:10:12 -0400

At 01:03 PM 1998-09-25 -0500, Bud Cook wrote:
>Are any of these lenses actually made by Carl Zeiss or are they just
>designed by Zeiss for the Japanese manufacturer?

Gads, sir, bite your tongue!  Kyocera builds Zeiss lenses, as does Rollei,
to Zeiss standards.  The final inspection is done by Zeiss, not Kyocera,
inspectors -- in fact, the room where these inspections are done has been
described, by the other Kyocera staff, as "the round-eye room", in that no
Japanese were admitted.  (Though Alan Nomano told me that Zeiss now has
hired a couple of Chinese nationals from Hong Kong as TI's, so this has
recently changed!)

A Zeiss lens is a Zeiss lens.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315