Subject: Re: [Leica] neg scanners - opinions please
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 21:00:18 +0200

On 26-09-1998 17:39 Alex Brattell wrote:

>I'm about to buy a 35mm film scanner, probably the Nikon Coolscan III.
>It will mainly be used for scanning mono negs but I want to have the ability
>to make high quality scans of trannies etc for web use and for printing of
>any kind. The Nikon seems to come withthe best software.

I am using the Nikon Super Coolscan LS-2000 with Nikon Scan 2.1 as a
plugin to Adobe Photoshop 5 on my Macintosh.
The scanner gives excellent results, and the ICE automatic dust and
scratches removal will save you a lot of work.
The Coolscan III is basically the same scanner at half the price, but its
dynamic range is lower than the LS-2000. The LS-2000 has the highest on
the market for a sub 2000 USD slide scanner.
One thing though: great results are apparently easier to get with slides
than with negatives. It gives a good argument to go for slides whenever
it is possible/practical.
And don't forget Nikon's slogan: "we make the worlds finest pictures" ...
So a Nikon scanner really goes hand in hand with Leica glass ;-)

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
An Apple a day keeps greedy Microsoft away !